Hello Pannirselvam,

We are associated as manufacturing licencees with the CGPL, Indian Institute
of Science, Bangalore and have installed a 20 kWe Biomass gasification based
power plant at the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, in 2002. I shall get
back
to you on its performance shortly. We are currently involved in a 500 kWe
UNDP funded rural electrification project for a cluster of 5 villages.

The design of our gasifier is such that it is capable of handling any
biomass of bulk density > 200 kg/M3. In our existing installations, we have
used coconut shell/Casuarina/ Eucalyptus/Prosopsis/saw dust briquettes. The
cashew nut shell needs to be briquettted to improve its bulk density.

You can significantly improve the economics by sale of the by-products.

With coconut shell, you will produce about 8-10% of high grade charcoal (or
Activated Carbon to be more exact) having an Iodine Value of 500 to 600
mg/gm. This needs to be crushed and classified before sale. Unlike in
biodiesel, Iodine value here is an indication of the surface activity or
Adsorbtivity of the Carbon and the higher this value, the greater its market
price. Without further activation, this carbon can be used for
decolourisation and deodourisation of drinking water supplies, edible oil
refining, liquid process streams in chemicals and dyes industries. It can
also be activated either thermally or by steam to Iodine value >1000 mg/gm
for treating liquid and gas process streams in drugs, electronics and
hazardous industries and in gas masks. This is sold in bulk in India at US $
500 to 1,000/MT depending on Iodine value.

With cashew nut shell, you first extract CNSL or Cashew Nut Shell Liquid,
which is used as a wood preservative directly or in formulation as varnish.
It imparts a warm sheen to the wood surface and provides protection against
a number of wood borers and termites. The yield is 15-20% of the shell
weight. I believe the Japanese use it for manufacturing value added
downstream resins for speciality uses. CNSL is sold in bulk in India at
about US $ 400/MT. The deoiled shell is then briquettted and gasified.

The plants at village level should nominally be viable at > 20 kWe output,
if you compare it with grid delivered and unsubsidised power. However, in
most cases this prognosis holds little meaning, as you are providing
villagers something they never possessed and the cascading impact on the
village economy and quality of life of the people now made powerful, in more
ways than one, cannot be easily and directly reckoned.

You may visit the CGPL site at http://cgpl.iisc.ernet.in/

Glycerine, being liquid, does not easily lend itself to atmospheric
gasification. I need to research this further.

regards,
balaji