Andrew,
I have to agree to much that is said. When I wrote that the Aussies were
conservative, I meant that they are concerned about how much they think the
Government is taking from them, and the services returned, so they tend to
vote for small change, not larger more radical change. The one time in my
living history that I saw this factor change was when The Labour government
under Gough Whitlam was voted to power in 1972. Unfortunately, Gough had some
great ideas, but rankled the Big C conservatives, so he was undermined &
rediculed. (I too do not agree with many of Goughs ideas, but we do have him
to thank for the little that is now left of his greatest feat: Medicare, an
initially free (to the user) Public medical system, (now eroded by the User
Pays & Pays again system that the conservatives have inflicted on us: said
because we pay for the public system from tax, but also need private Health
Insurance, meaning we pay twice!)
  In Australia, there really is not much difference between the Liberal party
policies, & the Labour party policies, as they are both trying to attract the
middle-ground voter. They have even clubbed together to pass legislation like
the US Free Trade Agreement, and to limit the ability of the smaller parties
to compete with the large party machines.
  However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I think we may see
more independent politicians (with no party affiliations) in power this time,
& I think the election will be so close, these independents will hold the
balance of power.
  Australia has compulsory voting, so the turnout is almost 100%. We also
practise Preferential voting (which means that if there are multi candidates
for a seat, the candidate with the lowest (primary) votes has his voters'
second preferences distributed to other candidates, and this continues until
a single candidate has 50%+ of the votes. These factors mean that the
political machinations are much different to the US system for instance.

Anyway, if you are interested in finding out more, Google your questions, or
ask the list for clarification!
regards Doug