I think Bruce Curry is being overcautious, but you can't blame him for that, he has to cover himself. I can assure you though from experience that polyester resin will withstand all aspects of biodiesel production, including the acid-base process. Also I get the idea Mr Curry thinks you're going to use the glass matting too, not just the resin.

You do have a good point on how on earth to get it in the tank. I didn't realise access was such a problem. You could do it the way you suggest if you get the mix right, do tests first as suggested to make certain (a) it doesn't start hardening before you're done, and (b) that it doesn't not harden at all! Obviously (b) is worse than (a).

Best wishes

Keith

I have lots of information regarding this subject - thanks to everyone's
input

I even have a reply from Bruce Curry from AOC corporation, but  have not yet
replied, since I am on my way out the door and have to do some homework to
get him the answers he requested.  I've posted it below

The tanks were made for hydro at ambient temperature (water tanks)  that
used to hold alkily cleaning chemical for an auto auction and is no longer
used.  I picked them up for my bioprocessor to hopefully aid in containment
of methanol evaporation as well as ease of production.  (The reator is the
Girl Mark fumeless) These three 82 gal tanks are taller then me with only
four 1" openings.  Regarding the correct components from what Keith and what
I've read of what coating to (and run test), still has to be determined.

I'm at odds on how I would coat the inside with just 1" opening (Openings:
1" open at top, two 1" opening midway (site tube) and one 1" at side bottom)
This may not be possible.

My thory of coating would be to pour the solution at the top and rotate the
tank for full coverage.  When full coating is applied, tip the tank (upside
down and let the excess drain from the opening.  let dry for undetermined
amount of time and possible repeat  Time temp. or the density of the
solution questions still have to be answered and this will take some time.

-Kevin

FROM BRUCE:
Will the refurbished tanks need to contain the sodium hydroxide and the
potassium hydroxide and then later be used for biodiesel?  If so, what is
the concentration of the sodium hydroxide and the potassium hydroxide?  What
is the  temperature?  Are there organincs present with the sodium hydroxide
and potassium hydroxide?
Vipel F701 or F764 will handle the biodiesel but they will not be able to
handle the sodium hydroxide or the potassium hydroxide.  Premium corrosion
resistant resins will be needed to contain sodium hydroxide or potassium
hydroxide such as Vipel F010 but I need to know concentrations and
temperatures before this can be confirmed.
Unless you have had fiberglass lay up experience, it is likely that you will
need to have someone come in to laminate for you.  (Unless the NaOH and KOH
concentrations are quite low and the temperature is ambient)  These
chemicals are quite aggressive to FRP and the laminate needs to made with
minimal air bubbles and designed with an ASTM  C 581 corrosion barrier.
What is the roll of the zinc?  Are you dissolving it?    What is the
concentration of the zinc?  Is the zinc just metallic zinc?
Bruce Curry
AOC
Corrosion Product Leader
Phone 901-854-2871