hello all,
Well good news. I've made good progress on my business plan. The actual
company outline/structure is really easy to write. However the marketing,
research and competition portions have required tremendous amounts of
localized research. This is a yet not realized market in my area so I'm
having to write out several scenarios and then go through them with a fine
tooth comb to find the most feasible, least costly but long term effective
solutions. I'm also trying to minimize the costly trial and error process.
To err is human, to err without forethought is silly.

I forgot how tedious writing one of these things gets. But I'm painting a
portrait not a house. So little strokes.

My biggest challenge thus far has not even been the figuring out my budget
or financial concerns as it has been finding an adequate WVO oil supply to
keep up with my propossed plant size (1000 US Gallons input per 24 hours
period). Of the 50 or so restaurants I've queried in my immediate area none
of them [net totals] cycle out oil fast enough to meet my needs. (Which is
quickly narrowing down the restaurants that I patronize.)

Vegetable oil gets to the viscosity of used motor oil quickly with heavy
usage. I dont understand trying to stretch the oil (topping off old oil), it
makes the food taste like soap after a while. I've written in an incentive
program into the model that compensates restaurants for their WVO, but I'm
trying to avoid that for the moment. However I may wind up resorting to it,
if WVO quality is too poor.

I'm continuing my survey of surrounding zones (about 15 miles radious from
propossed plant sites) for the the highest oil consumption. This will
ultimatly decide where I put the plant. Recovery and distribution figures
are the most easily controlled cost in my current model.

I may wind up moving the project closer to Washington DC as it has a much
higher ratio of restaurants per square mile.

In any case I need to get back to researching and writing my back-up plans
for the model.

If anyone is interested I can post a generic WVO business plan (outline).
It's more or less a fill in the blanks deal. No single business plan is
going to work for every business and it's definetly a living document. It's
not a cut and dry plan, but it will get you going in the correct direction.

cheers,
cordain
dulles, va