Greeting all,

What would happen to the Cornell results if a crop like sugar beets was used instead of corn?

Tom Irwin

From: Hakan Falk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:45:27 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficiencies

Bob A,

Pimentels research might be a valid representation of the results from a
very well defined process. The problem is that it is a very narrow set of
parameters and they look like they are chosen to get a predetermined result
and an argument that benefit those that wants to limit ethanol use.

He is centering the investigation on Corn, who's sugar/starch content is on
the limit of economic feasibility anyway. Even in his case sugar cane or
potatoes, would give a different result. This means that with some
assumptions, like growing process and choice/volume of fertilizers will
have a large impact on the result. Also the choice/use of energy source for
distilling process is critical, when choosing high grade petroleum instead
of available plant waste. He is using the worst case parameters in all
respect and will of course get a negative result or more like input equal
to output. Why he really deserves criticism is that he present his narrow
case research as having general validity and that is also why the
suspicions about his objectivity have a very strong foundation.

For people that have some scientific knowledge, it is easy detected. For
people that are producing ethanol, it does not related to their practical
experiences. It is only for people without some knowledge/experience, and
unfortunately decision makers/politicians are included in this group, that
his research presentation have any general validity. The people with the
background to judge his work, must come to the question why such a research
is done at all and for them it looks like a waste of time and money.
Pimentel is however head of a university research department and as such he
must find grants/financing for his activities. All universities have this
situation and they also accept grants/projects from the
commercial/industrial private sector. I is a dream, with no connection to
reality, that universities and their professors represent uncorrupted
objectivity.

I do not understand why you defend the assumption that Pimentel must to be
objective. He is obviously competent, otherwise nobody would take notice
and he would not get the grants. It is nothing wrong in what he is saying,
it is the way he is saying it.

Hakan