Hello Todd,

Let's forgo toxicity and byproducts for a moment and talk about efficiency. I could be mistaken but if I can take cellulose and biologically convert it to ethanol or methanol, I think I want the two carbon alcohol over the one carbon alcohol. If it is a question of biologically producing ethanol and chemically producing methanol, I think I still go for the biological process. I could be missing something, this is probably too simple an analysis.

Tom

From: Appal Energy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:36:44 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficiencies

Dinosaur as a matter of necessity Tom. Economics may preclude or
designate that necessity.

What I find peculiar is the fact that the toxicity of gasoline isn't
mentioned here.

You also may care to take into consideration that energy farming will
inherantly reduce other industrial toxicity as biomass becomes a
constituent element within them. Mercury and sulfur reduction from the
electricity generation industry comes to mind immediately

If you're going to conduct a cost/benefit analysis Tom, let's do so
across the board and include all the benefits, rather than eluding to
but one or two specific and unquantified disbenefits, perhaps even
disbenefits that can be ameliorated or eliminated.

Todd Swearingen