From: TarynToo < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Aug 30, 2005 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Religion, Politics Biofuels, and Illusion
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org

Hello Pannirselvam,

Forgive me for taking exception to some things you said to Doug. I've
assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you're looking at the works of the
Catholic church in Brazil, from a Hindu perspective. It has been years
since I last studied the Bhagavada Gita, but I continue to practice
hatha yoga for the mental and physical benefits. I greatly admire
Hinduism as a path for spiritual growth but have always been troubled
by several Hindu precepts (assumptions?).

Here in the west, Darwin's theories, "nature red in tooth and claw",
were used as justification for "Social Darwinism", which claimed that
the poor were inferior, evolutionary failures, and not deserving of
opportunity, education, or fair treatment.  I see reincarnation, and
the caste system, as serving a similar function in Hinduism; the lower
castes are seen as "failed souls", not enlightened enough to deserve a
place in society. I have read that many schools of Hindu thought are
rejecting the caste system, as is the government of India, but that the
bigotry and sexism continue.

So in that sense, religion, for a native of India, seems to be a tool
of oppression, creating economic and social disparity without regard to
the 'worldly value' of individuals, hence a source of illusion.

Regarding the Catholic church in Latin America; while doing much good
work, they have also consistently spread misinformation about the use
of condoms and other birth control methods.
< http://www.aegis.com/news/ads/2003/AD032597.html> This has accelerated
the spread of AIDS in Catholic countries, and caused many thousands of
unnecessary deaths. It's my understanding that there is now a schism
between the Vatican and many Brazilian clerics over this, with the
local priests and bishops denouncing the Vatican's anti-condom stance.
< http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/051005G.shtml > This is certainly a
welcome change, but the Vatican continues it's policies against AIDS
prevention education. It's not the first time the Vatican has taken a
stance obviously against Christ's teaching, often only to serve their
economic or political goals.

A bright spot in all this has been the emergence of Catholic Liberation
Theology, which at least provides a counter force to the constant
capitalist propaganda imposed on all the Americas.

American Evangelical Fundamentalist sects are also gaining power in
Latin America, and they too are a constant source of AIDS
misinformation. As they have no history of liberation theology, we can
be sure that their missions will be bound to NeoCon goals.

I certainly agree with your suspicions about corporate and media power
being used to suppress democratic processes all over the world, but I
suspect that the church often falls on the wrong side of this battle,
they have usually supported the economic elite in class struggles, even
as their missionaries were striving to help the poor and dispossessed.

I know you're 'on the ground' in Brazil, and you're seeing many
courageous, dedicated christians doing good works, against great odds.
I guess I'm trying to say that you're seeing those with 'true religion
with ethicsand also truedemocratic politics' actually doing what
needs doing. Those who send them often have other goals.

Taryn
ornae.com

On Aug 29, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Pannirselvam P.V wrote:

> Dear Doug Swanson
>
>   I appreciate your well thoughtful letter regarding our
> list.But I am not able to fully understand yet that religion
> develop illusion as I native of India , presently in Brazil .
> Here religion always do better thing , the school , the hospital ,
> the project for the poor people . I believe the illusion are made
> by Big Blue Corporate company against true religion with ethics and
> also true democratic politics using money power making the
> illusions.
>   Surely all are inter related and I agree with you that Biofuel
> bring the people together independent of politics and religions
> showing the truth and showing the green way and great future for
> global sustainability.
>
>  sd
>  Pannirselvam P.V.
>
> On 8/27/05, des < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> politics lately; as well as the diversity in the biofuels
>> subjects.(I

Pagandai V Pannirselvam
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte - UFRN
Departamento de Engenharia Química - DEQ
Centro de Tecnologia - CT
Programa de Pós Graduação em Engenharia Química - PPGEQ
Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos - GPEC

Av. Senador Salgado Filho, Campus Universitário
CEP 59.072-970 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Residence :
Av  Odilon gome de lima, 2951,
   Q6/Bl.G/Apt 102
   Capim  Macio
EP 59.078-400 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Telefone(fone ) ( 84 ) 3215-37690 Ramal210
                            32171557
Telefone(fax) ( 84 ) 3215-3770
            residencia 32171557

             Cellular  84  88145083