(theoretically) True

(IMHO) Engine efficiency and engine size are almost mutually exclusive (very few things are perfectly scalable).

If your throttle control is nothing more than a request for more or less power AND there is a correlation between a demand for power and a demand for fuel AND the thermal efficiency of the two engines are the same, why not?

The only note I would make is repeating Kirk's point, that the characteristics of the engine requires the operator to take full advantage of the engines ideal running conditions.

Of course, this too is debatable because of the number of variables. However, I think that semantics aside, the other factors are negligible.

Mike

Kirk McLoren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The fuel efficiency of an engine is not a constant. At high throttle settings economy is sacrificed for power. ie the grams of fuel used per horsepower hour increases. That is why infinite ratio transmissions would be worthwhile. And ideally - lossless.

At low loads the fixed burden of the engine becomes significant. Most diesels look best around 70% of design max.
Kirk

Greg and April <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

True or False

Underpowered vehicles can be just as inefficient as overpowered vehicles.

Why or why not?

Greg H.