Terry Dyck wrote:

> Terasen was bought by a Texas company.  My speculation is that having
> control of Natural Gas gives control of the Alberta tar sands oil
> production.  It takes almost as much Natural Gas to melt the tar sands oil
> rock, to make it a liquid, as they get back in oil.
>
> Terry Dyck

        I had a discussion about this topic with a former client who designs
tar sands processing facilities.  He told me that a lot of work has
been done in utilizing the "leftover" bitumen as an energy source to
drive oil out of the tar sands and suggested that the process results
in a net energy gain.  I didn't really follow what he was saying, as
I'm not that familiar with the process.

        As for Terasen, it doesn't matter much to me whether the company is
owned and operated from Texas or B.C.  They are interested in making a
profit, hence the rate hike.  That would have happened no matter who
owned the company.  Perhaps you're right about the tar sands.  I would
really like to get OUT of buying natural gas to heat my home.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca