Jesse (mark manchester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> Hi Robert, Darryl, Keith,
> We've just finished pressing pink insulation into the headers in the
> basement., sealed the basement door, which leaked water in a storm anyway,
> and plastic'd the basement windows.  Clearly these were the areas we had not
> addressed before.  Let there be no more $500/month heating bills, please.

Have you covered the insulation?  This will further reduce drafts.  I used foil
get the radiant barrier as well as the air-stop.  If the spaces between the
headers
are small, perhaps you can find waste mylar big enough.  I read somewhere that
somebody used the coffee bags from a Starbucks.  I haven't explored that
myself,
but I have heard from other sources that Starbucks will set aside used coffee
grounds on request (to add to your compost or your lawn).

The search for energy savings never ends.  Continue to look for cold spots and
drafts.  Spider webs are a good indication of drafts, even when incense and
tissue
paper flags don't find them.

> Window quilts, why not?  Only at night, though, right?  Otherwise, always
> wear a miner's helmet with the light on the forehead.

Normally.  However, if the window is not sun-facing or the weather is as dark
and
dismal as it has been here this past week, it becomes a judgement call.  Our
window
quilts have been on as much as off the past week during "daylight" hours.

> I'm very envious of your garden, Robert, I love reading about it.  Out I go
> right now with my wagon full of compost to begin digging my little patch in
> the sun.  Thankyou, Keith, for the great info about square foot gardens.  So
> encouraging!
>
> Jesse
>
> > From: robert luis rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:33:16 -0700
> > To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
> > Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Supplemental Heat by BD or byproduct
> >
> > mark manchester wrote:
> >
> >> Darryl, I'm STUNNED!!!  Your house must be wrapped in R60.
> >

> > Well, I live on the left coast, which is considerably milder than
> > Ottawa, but my family of four only spent about $700 on natural gas
> > last winter.  Insulation, weatherstripping and good windows are key.
> > We could do more with window quilts, but my sweetheart isn't too fond
> > of the idea. . .

Yes, well, I had to make our window quilts, despite the fact my wife is the
quilter
in the family.  At least the equipment was here, and binding the quilt was a
nice,
warm, sedentary activity on a cool late autumn night.

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?