for a "silver bullet" plant or the widespread introduction of one that is deemed "better" might choke out natural flora. Introduction of Jatropha looks like it would have a rather high potential for doing just that, since it grows in such a variety of soil conditions.

I just have to look outside when I'm driving down the road to see an example of something similar: huge, huge tracts of nothing but the horrid kudzu vine. Imported into this area for the railroad system, it took hold rather well and thrived. It's also now threatening to choke off local vegetation, and even swallow homes; could Jatropha one day do this?

Just my caution and pessimism.

Peace
-Kurt
_______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/