>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Hi Isabel
> >I heard today that castor beans are an excellent source of biodiesel. Does
> >anyone know if this is true?
> >Marilyn
> >

>I can't say what the transesterification might affect in castor oil, but
>on another list I subscribe to, (clocks) the gentlemen who have cleaned
>castor oil from the case (preservative? finish?) are currently
>discussing the method (scraping) and material (solvent) required to try
>to dissolve the sticky gummy mess that castor oil has left on the case.
>Also tends to draw the copper out of the brass of the clock works,
>making the sticky gummy mess green.

All vegetable oils do that. Copper catalyses rapid oxidisation and
polymerisation.

See "Copper and SVO":
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#copperstudy

Castor oil has a lower iodine value than either rapeseed oil or soy
(much higher), and is thus more stable - it wouldn't have happened
without the copper.

Castor oil has excellent lubricity and is a good candidate for
biofuel, either biodiesel or SVO.

Say "Castrol" slowly. That's what it started off as. Previous messages:

"Castrol R or Mobil P, both castor based oils are still the prefered
lubricants in the worm/wheel diffs as fitted to Peugeot 203,403,404."

"Castrol are still selling castor oil for 2-strokes, especially for racing."

Best

Keith

>Perhaps the transesterification would change the characteristics of the
>oil, but I'd want to try "test patches" before introducing it to a fuel
>tank, pump, injectors, etc.
>
>doug swanson
>
> >Biofuel@sustainablelists.org wrote:
> >

> >Note: Forwarded Email Message Below:
> >

> >Hi Keith
> >
> >It seems as if you don't think it is a good idea to use Jatropha as a source
> >to produce bio diesel from?
> >
> >When I originally posed the question I only received a few messages and
> >none
> >of them was negative.

<snip>