[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi Isabel
>I heard today that castor beans are an excellent source of biodiesel. Does
>anyone know if this is true?
>Marilyn

I can't say what the transesterification might affect in castor oil, but
on another list I subscribe to, (clocks) the gentlemen who have cleaned
castor oil from the case (preservative? finish?) are currently
discussing the method (scraping) and material (solvent) required to try
to dissolve the sticky gummy mess that castor oil has left on the case.
Also tends to draw the copper out of the brass of the clock works,
making the sticky gummy mess green.

Perhaps the transesterification would change the characteristics of the
oil, but I'd want to try "test patches" before introducing it to a fuel
tank, pump, injectors, etc.

doug swanson

>Biofuel@sustainablelists.org wrote:
>

>Note: Forwarded Email Message Below:
>

>Hi Keith
>
>It seems as if you don't think it is a good idea to use Jatropha as a source
>to produce bio diesel from?
>
>When I originally posed the question I only received a few messages and
>none
>of them was negative.
>
>Maybe I missed something!
>
>As I originally explained we know nothing about producing bio diesel and
>that is why we posted our original questions and gave a brief explanation
>why we though it would be best to use jatropha.
>
>We have literally read every article we can find about producing bio diesel
>and to date  have not found in our opinion any crop better suited for us to
>produce bio diesel from, as a matter fact it seems from what we have read
>that jatropha is the number one choice world wide to produce bio diesel
>from.
>
>You obviously have a lot of experience & knowledge regarding producing bio
>diesel as well as what to use to do so. Therefore If you believe jatropha is
>not the way to go it would be greatly appreciated if you would say so & why
>you think so, because as I have said before we are asking for advice and if
>you have reasons to believe that jatropha is unsuitable I would like to know
>about them so as to enable us to make a fully enlightened decision.
>

>Kind regards.
>
>Isabel.

>messages):

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.