While I still have concerns that we will simply self-identifying
ourselves, I also understand the impetus for the initiative here in
Canada, the land of "what we don't understand, we regulate".

I'm not clear how the accreditation gets any credibility without an
identifiable, credible organization backing it up, and that takes
resources.  I am going through a couple of similar deals with solar PV
installation and solar water pre-heaters here.  In both cases we have
the national organization, but in Ontario, we have already lost the
fight.  There is a training regime for PV installers; I'm taking it.
However, it has no value as of last month - PV must be installed by an
electrician, whether they understand PV or not.  No requirement to have
PV training.  Similarly with the solar water heaters.  Must be installed
by a plumber, whether they are familiar with dual loop systems or not.

So, before we start developing a curriculum, is there any real
expectation that the accreditation will have any value with any
authoritative body (e.g., municipal "safety" officials, fire department
inspectors)?  Do we have any qualified people in those areas who can
provide us with relevant materials for guidance and get the accepted
language?  No point re-inventing the wheel if it can be avoided.  Would
WHMIS course material be instructive?  Copies of MSDS sheets?  Are we
looking at a package we could put up on a website, or mail out for a
nominal fee?

Going back to the food-handling example, don't the workers have to
attend a session and answer questions to get their "accreditation"?
Would we have to have a similar means of testing would-be practitioners?
  Or are we talking a code of practice that a safety official could
examine with the practitioner indicating how they fulfill the requirements?

Do we have any reason to believe an existing body like Canadian
Renewable Fuels Association might be supportive of small scale
producers?  Anyone else?  (e.g., waste management body, agricultural
group for oilseed producers)  Government body (e.g., Natural Resources
Canada, Environment Canada, Climate Change Secretariat, Agriculture
Canada)?  NGOs (Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Sustainable
Development Technology Canada)?  Are we better off trying to co-opt a
larger body as a champion than going it alone?  How much opposition will
we get from existing players, e.g., renderers like St. Lawrence-Rothesay
or Biox?

Which body actually mandates that biodiesel sold in Canada has to meet
the ASTM standard (if any actually does)?  If such a body exists,
perhaps we can provide them with the materials we feel are appropriate,
and then let them own and maintain them.

Local rumour mill says there should be a Canadian book out on
small-scale biodiesel production late spring this year.  I understand it
will cover some of these issues (safety, quality, handling of
by-product).

I'm willing to put in some time on this if there is general agreement to
proceed.  It looks like we have several local groups across the country
trying to get organized at approximately the same time, so it might be
worth while getting some agreement on the subject and provide a unified
front if we choose to proceed.

Darryl McMahon

Kenji James Fuse wrote:
> I wasn't talking aboout the ASTM test, although one of these days I'm
> going to talk to politicians and bureaucrats about getting the 'distillate
> curve' off the Canadian specs.
>
> All I meant is that we write up a 'biodiesel safe' thingy, like those
> silly foodsafe courses waiters and grocery store clerks have to take
> ("after wiping your bum, wash your hands"). Why let ignorant and
> liability-conscious politicos do it in a year or so, when we could do it
> easily, better and beat them to it?
>
> KF
>
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Nigel Kelly wrote:
>

>>As funny as that is - I see merit in it.
>>
>>I'm new here, so some comments may be of "ignorance" - excuse them if they
>>are ... but...
>>
>>Is there a standard we can specify that meets and exceeds the various
>>aspects of current certification testing? Take the most stringent of each
>>apsect to be tested - viscosity, pH etc - and have a single, HIGHER standard
>>which would mean anything meeting that standard automatically meets all the
>>others.
>>
>>This gives the biodieselers the "high ground". We can demonstrate we're
>>happy to step up to the mark - in fact we're interested in exceeding it (we
>>are... right?) Striving for perfection is an admirable thing - I also
>>realise it's not a real worl thing... but as a guiding principle it's good.
>>
>>Nigel

Darryl McMahon                  http://www.econogics.com
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?