Hello Steve,
Yea it a bummer to see our think tanks beg, but the bottom line is if
they start producing the catalyst for sale, chances are we can buy it,
not so different than going to your local chemical supply and buying KOH
eh?  I think Mr Lin is trying to use his minute in the limelight to
express what they have done and give the State a good kicking in the
butt to start supporting what they at the university do (Academics vs
Sports)  and after the Hawkeyes Basketball season why not?  I don't
agree with -see below...
Best
Jim

Steve Racz wrote:

>Here is the article online (using snipurl!)
>
>http://snipurl.com/q4st
>
>If the catalyst is reusable, but only 20 times, what happens then? Can the
>catalyst be recycled?
>
>The details are vague but it seems that this is intentional as it seems Mr.
>Lin and his colleagues and especially the University of Iowa are trying to
>cash in on their research, not share it.
>
>Sorry if I sound like a cynic, but the article sounds more like a free
>informercial touting the benefits of university and industry collaboration
>(read - how to raise $$$ for the University) with the work with renewable
>fuels being only the buzzword to bind it together.
>
>Not that I don't think that there shouldn't be collaboration, it's that this
>is blatantly using biodiesel research as a headliner and not much else.

Not much else? Then Why is the Coop going to start Commercially testing
the Catalyst?

> I'm
>actually saddened that with all the blah, blah about being addicted to oil,
>that begging is still required by universities for funding of research that
>seems so basic and that people like Mr.Lin are forced into the commercial
>world when clearly it's not ready for commercialization.

Right the catalyst is not ready for commercialization but it is ready to
test for that purpose.  Please don't misunderstand me, I hope it becomes
available but until the next 1000 yards of research and testing is
complete I am not going to cancel any orders for KOH.