OMG please don't do this!
The capacitor in a microwave oven contains several joules of energy! This is sufficient to kill you and has done to more than one unsuspecting soul who has decided to tinker around inside the microwave oven. The article below even goes to the extent of warning you to discharge the cap before doing any assembly work but then it goes on at the end in bold red saying the danger is not in operating the beast but in its construction. It doesn't say anythingabout how you are supposed to discharge the cap before you try to remove the electrode from the jar! Trust me colloidal siver can be easily made using voltage as low as 20 volts and with current limiting. It will take a little longer (15 minutes) to make a batch ( I do half a litre at a time) but current limiting is important because it keeps particle size down in the low nanometer range where it needs to be in order to make a good colloid. I use a little wall wart type transformer for this. Half a litre IS high volume. Considering that the most effective way to use the stuff is to put it in a nasal sprayer and use it directly on ther mucous linings at THE FIRST SIGN of a sore throat ( not effective at later stages) and you are using perhaps 1ml at a time, half a litre will last your entire family a year or more. DON'T drink the stuff unless you want to kill off beneficial bacteria in your GI tract. Pink eye is easily and quickly cured with repeated misting of the open eye, but again it is working on contact. There are many other uses for the stuff which I won't get into but it is basically a powerful anit-bacterial which works on contact against single celled organisms. The internals of microwave ovens are extremely unforgiving and even for the initiated there is no room for error or absent mindedness.

Joe

D. Mindock wrote:

Build Your Own High-Volume Colloidal Silver Maker

You want a plague-ready machine that'll make about 40 quarts of strong Colloidal Silver an hour, that you can easily build in an hour for about $38?? I've built many now for people and I'll tell you how to make yours.

This is about the simplest colloidal silver maker you could build. The unit makes 1 liter of roughly 40 PPM CS in 1.5 minutes or less using reverse osmosis water; with this kind of power, continuous production is possible with a spaghetti tube adding and removing water at a trickle. The primarily ionic silver it produces has saved lives, write-offs sent home by the hospital to die. As the old Chinese saying goes, "Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the one who is doing it."

I have re-wired a microwave oven because it gives more than adequate power - about 3600 volts pulsed DC current - to make batches very quickly. I use a 9999 fine, 1 oz silver wafer rolled-out to 5.25 inches long and 1.25 wide for the electrode. This size for the high current allows reduced power DENSITY. The electrodes are spaced parallel for a wide-mouth jar, about 2.25 inches apart, the water giving ample RESISTANCE to the current. There is no current-limiting needed and all the microwave's safeties still work. It won't operate with the door open.

There are 2 insulated wires going to the magnetron. When you disconnect the magnetron (impeller) you'll only be using the heavier (main) wire from the capacitor; the silver electrode in the jar of CS you'e brewing usually goes to chassis ground and the wire electrode, which can be copper or even iron, goes to the main capacitor wire. If you're not running 120 volts the wiring inside may be a bit different.

I'm not an electrician but I found bypassing the magnetron remarkably easy to do. Get someone a bit adept at the job and make sure (s)he bleeds the capacitor, which contains LETHAL VOLTAGE. Space the electrodes parallel by making holes in a plastic yogurt lid for the top and plastic paddle with holes the same distance apart at the bottom; at that voltage you have to ensure the electrodes never touch. Using an awl or a nail, bash a hole through the light perforations in the box cavity and thread the wire through from the CS maker in the oven cavity to the feed circuit.

Make sure the wire is short enough to make it impossible for some goof to operate the unit with the electrodes outside the box!

(Hint: the smaller microwave ovens can be put on their side so you can get a decent sized jar inside)

The first CS maker done this way will take perhaps an hour, the rest, 20 minutes, and makes the old (free?) microwave into a much more noble device than it was even when it was new. The safeties and timer still work and again, it only operates when the door is shut. Total cost, a bit of high-voltage wire and the one-ounce rolled-out silver ingot, is under about $40 CDN, and I used expensive copper-core spark plug wires for the high-voltage part.

The CS remains clear (not yellow, not cloudy) for many months unless it's somehow tainted. If I make it any stronger it can trigger easily if you stick a finger in for example, and it WILL plate the inside of the jar with silver at the concentration I make it at. Keep it clean ;)

DISCLAIMER: *Don't ask for a diagram. If you need a diagram for this you shouldn't be in there. Get a knowledgeable friend to do it. Keep in mind that the dangerous part is in the construction, not the use of the beast, and be stupid at your own risk.*

* *

That being said, copyright waived; go ahead and circulate this note.

Duncan Crow HOME <http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/>