  From: Kirk McLoren
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 8:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] That bogus antioxidant study

  http://nnlm.gov/pnr/uwmhg/comnames.html university of washington.

  http://www.crimson-sage.com/  they have a pdf catalog
  Stevia
  Stevia rebaudianaNative to Paraguay. A remarkable sugar substitute. Stevia's
flavor is stable when cooked. You can use it in jams, canned fruits, cakes and
cookies. Your own home grown will taste much better than store bought. Stevia
is fast growing. It thrives in full sun and well drained soil. Pinch off the
flowers as you would with basil. If Stevia is allowed to flower they droop and
become dormant. Some studies have shown that it contains substances that
inhibit tooth decay, increase mental alertness, decrease fatigue, improve
digestion, regulates blood pressure, and is safe for diabetics. However it has
not been approved by the FDA. Excellent sugar substitute for diabetics. My
children love to nibble the leaves. Stevia is a tender perennial. Hardy to zone
9.

  My daughter has researche plants form eastern europe and sourced some. Will
post more info later

  Also
  http://www.fungi.com/
  they have kits
  I know people who grow them in their garage.
  http://www.fungi.com/kits/indoor.html
  The Reishi Mushroom PatchT   Growing Temperature: 70-80° F
  Ganoderma lucidum, known as Reishi by the Japanese and Ling Chi by the
Chinese, has long been sought after for its beneficial properties. Ling Chi is
perhaps the most well renowned of all the medicinal fungi, represented in Asian
art for thousands of years. Reputed to have many health stimulating properties,
Western studies are increasingly authenticating what Eastern cultures have
known for thousands of years-that this mushroom stimulates the body's immune
system. Once grown, this mushroom is generally broken up, powdered and steeped
in simple teas. Its flavor is strong, distinctive, and pleasant to most people.

  Kirk

  M&K DuPree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    I'm curious what botanicals the List thinks might be essential.  My first
thought would be those which strengthen the immune system, which might be what?
 Then?  Mike DuPree