> Honestly, what is the appeal of Sierra's "Quest" games?  Anyone who likes
> them, please shed some light on the subject.

Ok, I guess I have to throw my hat into this ring... As a huge fan of both
the old text/still graphic adventures AND the Sierra/Lucasart style games,
they both have their own appeal.  But the Sierra games did change some key
aspects of the old text games and for the better.

Now your main gripe seems to be with the fact that you can't just be in a
room and say I want to do X.  This was at first mainly a technical problem
of doing pathfinding routines (notice that later Sierra and Lucasarts games
all take care of this for you automatically through mouse controls.  KQ1 was
meant to be played with a joystick or keyboard, so you didn't have a mouse
to point at stuff and intereact with it through icons (granted the Amiga and
I believe Mac versions both had mouse support but they were just ports made
at a later time.  When Maniac Mansion is released these problems are dealt
with).

Also, the old descriptions in text adventures were replaced by graphics.
This changed the nature of the puzzle solving from the old "ok, what items
are listed in the descrption and let's play with those" to "what items are
drawn with any kind of detail and let's play with those".  Part of the
appeal, especially in those early games was to try to find the items of
interest, like watching an old detective movie and spotting which character
was missing from the scene, because he was off murdering someone.  Text
adventures just had to tell you what happened and give it away or not tell
you making it unfair.

The visual nature of the games (which many people including Ken Williams
admit were one of the big reasons people bought Adventure games, aka show
off your hardware) was a major issue on its own and was therefore very
important.  The whole idea that you could move a sprite behind stuff was
pretty far out back then for a home computer and made the game more
accessible to younger audiences that were quickly bored by pages and pages
of text.

I can't recall how many times I was ticked off at text adventures that would
show stuff in the images (especially on later games for 16 bit machines,
which had much more detailed pictures) and since they weren't mentioned in
the descriptions I couldn't interact with them.

Despite the fact that this post is coming out a bit disjointed, another
great addition of the Sierra style game was that you could finally have
something besides straight choose your own adventure style gameplay.  Action
sequences were added to the games (Conquest of Camelot being probably the
best example of this), which began to bridge gaps between genres and giving
much more realistic feeling experiences, especially since you could now
actually see scenes played out that would otherwise just be described.

I guess a good comparison would be between the text adventure The Hobbit and
Sierra's The Black Cauldron (which yes, was a point and click affair, but
still).  I use both of these because they were both cartoons and books I
grew up on and so they spanned all three of my favorite mediums.  There are
moments in The Hobbit that just don't come to life, not only because of the
relatively limited parser (not the greatest game engine in the text
adventure arena), but because you just lack the animation.  At the end of
the Black Cauldron when the little furry guy runs right into the pot, that's
a moment that will stick with me forever... much more so then a paragraph
describing it.

Karl Kuras
aka Trantor
http://drawnsword.trantornator.com