Jim Leonard wrote:
>Pedro Quaresma wrote:
>

>> extremely enjoyable. It's actually my 2nd favorite combat system ever.

>What's your 1st?

Faery Tales Adventures 2: Halls of the Dead. Combat is turn based, but if you leave the left mouse button pressed, each turn runs faster until it becomes real time. Stop pressing left mouse button and it instantly becomes turn based again.

Ever got bored at those RPGs with turn-based combat, in which your level 78 hero has to face yet another rat? Wish it would be over in a second? This combat system solves that "flaw" of oh so many RPGs with turn-based combat.

> Come on Jim, long and unusual names are a must... you can't quite have
> "Prince Dick", "Joe the White Knight" or "Mary the Priestess of Tony"!
> :D "Tom the Mage" is ok though ;)

>It's not the length, it's the absurdity of the names that drives me up a
>wall.  It is possible to go overboard in "medieval speak".  In my
>example, quoted again for humorous reference:

>"Making the ascension of Arrogath in the land of Blesmythson requires
>the blessing of Gorgonax the Blargnargian during the Time of Rhyne."

>..it's all the "ancientspeak" that drives me nuts.  It's like going to
>hell and finding out that hell is really a Renaissance Faire where
>everyone talks like that, badly.  Am I making sense?

Yes, and I do know some games do go overboard. Nevertheless I feel it's a necessity of having some "absurd" names in order for the player to get "in-character". I admit I'd prefer naming my character Arrogath than Pedro :) I do often use some simple names though, like Lyan, Ky, Cinir, etc.

>It's like being
>trapped in a Robert Jordan novel.  I would sooner claw my own eyes out
>than be forced to read 10 minutes of that unending gibberish.

>No offense to those who like Robert Jordan :)

OT: The Wheel of Time started in an interesting way, but the books did get, imho, annoying and plain boring after the 5th or so.

On the other hand, if you haven't given it a go, try the extremely original George R. R. Martin's "Fire and Ice" series. After reading the first three books, I know I'll never be able to endure the usual 'clichés' of other typical fantasy books :)

>(Ironically, Wheel of Time, a game based on a Robert Jordan novel, is
>actually a very good game.  The "ancientspeak" is thick and heavy but
>since it's an action adventure it's not as irritating.)

When the game was released I was still fairly interested in RJ's books. I never got the game though because I read it had a shallow plot and basically played like a FPS.