"Feldhamer, Stuart" schrieb:

> It doesn't seem odd to me...Legend has abandoned its core competency -
> adventure games.

IIRC Legend didn't have much choice. In the mid-90s the adventure market
started to run dry and Legend had to move 3D in order to survive. Later
they apparently also couldn't by themselves cope with the increasingly
huge production costs per title and if GT Interactive hadn't stepped in,
there might have been no more Legend Ent. much earlier.

The pity in all this is that the 3D titles Legend did at first weren't
exactly bad, but overlooked. And when Infogrames later bought GT
Interactive, Legend wasn't much more than a name under many and the
consequences we see now.

I'm not sure I like all this concentration. We are almost at the point
where only a few publishers dominate the market, because only
heavyweights can afford to develop a game nowadays. And because these
heavyweights have to make sure that a title gets in the production
costs, we will see more and more games with a 2, 3, 4, 5 in the title
and as much appeal to the mass market as possible.

Creativity and originality is only an afterthought, once the calculators
rule over the creative department of a gaming company.

Marco