On Jun 11, 2004, at 11:02 AM, Jim Leonard wrote:

Edward Franks wrote:

I have done this for some music -- download music illegally, listen to it, buy the CD. Nowadays I just listen to streaming radio and/or download it for later listening.
The golden-goose questions are how many people download illegally/buy later and just what percentage of what they download do they buy honestly buy later? Given the packrat mentality of so many people into pirating I would be surprised if either of those figures was more than 10%. Just look at the usage figures for BitTorrent. I don't think that many people are sharing Linux ISOs. ;-)

True. But at least I'm honest about it ;-)

Indeed. :-)

What I find an interesting observation of human nature in action is the fact so many folks that download stuff illegally turn the whole business into some noble moral imperative. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

--

Edward Franks