Hi Jeroen

> > When I reboot the router, I have no SIXXs tunnel for many minutes
> > after the underlying pppoe session comes up.
> > I was testing IPv6 connectivity with a ping6 to google.
>
> Did you check a traceroute? Or more importantly that you could reach
> the other side of the tunnel? Google is a few hops away at minimum.

The ping was just simple test I was using to confirm connectivity. I
didn't do a traceroute because after trying a few destinations, I was
pretty sure the issue was with the tunnel.

> > When I had no
> > success I tried pointing a browser to a v6 destination - google
> > obviously didn't work, then took swisscom's front page which didn't
> > work either.
>
> Which just heavily indicates that your connectivity is broken, one way
> or another (might just be a firewall).
>
> > I realized that maybe the tunnel was to blame. So I took it down and
> > started it again.
>
> What do you mean with "starting it again"?

ip tunnel del sixxs
ip link set sixxs down
sleep 1
ip tunnel add sixxs mode sit local 213.180.162.41 remote 213.144.148.74
ip link set sixxs up
ip link set mtu 1280 dev sixxs
ip tunnel change sixxs ttl 64
ip -6 addr add 2001:1620:f00:3c::2/64 dev sixxs
ip -6 route add default via 2001:1620:f00:3c::1 dev sixxs
ip -6 route add 2000::/3 via 2001:1620:f00:3c::1 dev sixxs
ip -6 route add 2001:1620:f1e::/48 dev lo
ip -6 addr add 2001:1620:f1e:1:213:180:162:41/64 dev ppp0

> Seems you have a strange setup, more technical details would be very
> useful.

I'm pretty confident my issue was timing issue. The pppoe session took
long to come up and the sixxs interface was trying to start before
ppp0 was up and thus couldn't bind to the local endpoint.

Thank you for your help but afaic the issue is sorted out for me. I
check for the local endpoint's ipv6 address at the end of the boot
sequence. If it's not there I restart the sixxs interface and then it
works.

Cheers

Jean-Pierre

--
HILOTEC Engineering + Consulting AG - Langnau im Emmental
IT für KMUs: Netzwerke, Server, PCs, Linux, Telefonanlagen,