i think the idea was, to block port 25 of the user.
so the user (which could use a unsecured mailserver) cannot used as an
open-relay/proxy.

-steven

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Behalf Of Daniel Lorch
> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 3:42 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [swinog] Freesurf Range poluted by open relays?!?
>
>
> hi,
>
> > Filtering outgoing port 25 makes it so that these "visitors" to the
> > net can't just connect and spew out thousands of spam messages,
> > like they often do with these free services.  They can send e-mail
> > via the provider's mail servers, where presumably there will
> > be some kind of restriction on the amount of e-mail that can
> > be sent per unit of time.
>
> I don't know whether Freesurf implements rate-limiting (which is
> an entirely
> different issue), but the only way of using Freesurf's SMTP is to
> use Freesurf
> as your ISP (as far as I'm aware).
>
> > I hope that helps...
>
> I'm afraid I still don't understand. What does "Blocking port 25"
> refer to?
>   a) Disable the service entirely
>   b) Implement some sort of rate-limiting
>   c) Use a port different to 25
>
> Sorry to nit-pick, but I'm sort of fed up with people claiming
> that "blocking
> port 25" will solve all your problems. No more abuse! -
> Obviously, because no
> one can send mails anymore. No more Spam! - Obviously, because
> you can't rece-
> ive any mails anymore (not even legit mails). Woohoo (?).
>
> -daniel
>
> ----------------------------------------------
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/
>

----------------------------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/

Reply via email to