Fredy Kuenzler wrote:
Alexander Koch wrote:

Maybe the layer-2 infrastructure? Technically it's possible, we all
know that. Whether it makes sense, this is another topic and not discussed here.

why not discuss it here a bit? I feel it would make a lot of sense, even for us!

Sure it's on topic, but it has nothing to do with IXeurope's recent
acquisition, therefore I changed the subject.

Seeing that we will likely leave several public exchanges as traffic grows too much to handle it safely on a shared infrastructure some select peerings are surely making a lot of sense here, and for Switzerland especially, I should say.

This seems to be quite common recently by larger carriers. If we
consider AMS-IX recent upgrades to 10GBps links, large IX might reach
their capacity limits soon.

Think about a L2 link between these two sites, being available as a special VLAN on both public exchanges in addition to those completely
seperate ones that all operators are welcome to keep on running, not
touch, etc. Operationally it should not be any problem in my view to
safely exchange one VLAN for the interconnection of these two exchanges, it would be an added service, it would normally not affect
those that take the plain 'TIX' or 'CIXP' service.

ACK. Something similar is done in Switzerland by SwissIX with two sites
currently, and several other IX'es elsewhere.

Question is: would <small ISP> be willing to pay an extra fee for
getting just a few additional peers? CIXP and TIX are overlapping quite
a bit, and considering current IP transit prices, <small ISP> must think
to start leaving Exchanges too. If <small ISP> cannot handle a large
amount of traffic over an IX, it's simply no longer worth to be member
of it.

Likewise we see IP transit pricing going down to 20% of the price of
three years ago, however IX ports are still on the same rate or even
more expensive. Therefore being member of TIX for instance does not
value any longer unless <small ISP> can handle at least 5 MBps over it.
In other words: I'd like to see port prices falling to reflect IP
transit prices - otherwise commercial IX'es become obsolete, because
<large carrier> cannot handle traffic over it anymore and will move to
private peering and for <small isp> it's no longer worth to peer
themselves because buying IP transit is simply much cheaper.

<small ISP> will maybe happy, if IXEurope can offer VLan's from all they're nodes in
Europe?
would this make sense?

My CHF 0.05
F.