I did Field Day in 2015 with a 15v/1.7a solar panel and an FT817. Made 29
contacts QRP and alternate power source. The next closest guy used an FT817 and
human power(bicycle/alternator) and made 22 contacts. So it is possible...

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Thomas Sundstrom <trsc...@gmail.com>
To: Discussion list for the Winter SWL Fest <swlfest@hard-core-dx.com>
Subject: Re: [Swlfest] Emergency Power
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 01:55:33 +0000

Sorry I didn't make it to the fest.  Re emergency power, I have been buying
APC UPS units since 1987. (I was introduced to them through work, installing
them on 50-odd PC computer installations in all types of state facilities
scattered in all counties.) I've used them on my telephone BBS and PCs over the
years and find the APC brand extraordinarily durable and reliable. Now that I
don't need a (or want) desktop PC any more, I just have two units. I have a
small one to keep a radio from losing its preset memories if the power blips
and outages of ~2 hours and a larger 1000VA unit to keep the Comcast router and
a VZW range extender on line. The March 7 snow storm brought down ~12 trees
(some on the house) and we lost power for ~12 hours. The UPS kept us on line
for ~9 hours. The APC units are now sold by Schneider Electric
(http://www.apc.com/us/en/) and readily available from outlets like Staples. My
older unit is now known as the BR1000G (1000VA); the BR1500G (1500VA) wasn't
available then. After ~6 years I replaced the battery in the 1000VA for about
40% of the cost of the new unit. It included overnight delivery to here, and a
free return box for the old battery. For the smartphone and tablets, I have
Morphie rechargeable batteries that will reup the charges several times over.
Batteries for a couple of headlamps, the SONY SW-7600GR and another portable
radio complete my needs. I didn't mean to make this to read as a commercial,
but the point is a decent-size UPS can protect against brownouts, power surges
(think lightning strikes) and power losses.