Hi Scott,

On 17/03/11 08:43, Scott Wilson wrote:

>> I'll get onto this and point, just as a pointer however look at the
>> 'Creating a folder' section in the GDocs API.
>
> This whole area of SWORD (secs 6.4-6.6) is effectively doing the same job as
> CMIS. Is there a good reason for creating a new spec here?
>
> If these kinds of operations (remotely manipulating the content of virtual
> packages) are part of the core functions of SWORD, should it be a profile of
> CMIS rather than AtomPub?

I've tried /quite/ hard to get to grips with CMIS without a huge amount
of success.  It seems extremely large and full of a lot of stuff which
is way way way over the top for what SWORD is trying to achieve, as far
as I can tell.

Also, we tried in the business case/technical architecture document to
position SWORD firmly in the "deposit" space rather than the "content
management space" (which I may or may not have succeeded in doing).
Certainly I can see the case that enabling CRUD means that you are doing
some content management, so we're striving to keep the details of what
we say based entirely on the aspects of transferring data point to point
rather than mandating what happens to that data at either end (this is,
for example, part of the reticence to formally incorporate GData).

So, profiling CMIS seems like a massive undertaking and a large burden
on the implementers just to make sense of what they would or wouldn't
have to implement.  Could you comment on that, do you think?

What does seem possible is that we could adopt terms from the CMIS
namespace to use in SWORD, rather than minting new terms.  I'm thinking,
for example, of cmis:createdBy being used instead of sword:depositedBy,
although there's some argument to be had over whether those two are
really the same thing.  Could you possibly suggest some similarities in
terms in CMIS that might be appropriate for reuse in SWORD?

Also, do you know of any good introductions to CMIS that are bit more
penetrable than the specification that I could look at?

Cheers,

Richard