I've joined the list because I'm just discovering RSS and exploring how I might 
use it. 
(I'm a retired university lecturer - English as a foreign language, I'm, 
English, but I live 
in Germany. I think the BBC site/sites are fabulous.

My first question....

I use a PC, XP and I'm trying out FeedDemon.

When I try to copy the feed from BBC/Education to insert in FeedDemon, I get 
what is 
pasted below. Which can't be right.

I was expecting a short, URL-like address.

Most grateful for any help.

Dennis

----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> 
- <rss version="0.91"> 
- <channel> 
<title>BBC News | UK News | Education | World Edition</title> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/default.stm</link> 
<description>Updated every minute of every day - FOR PERSONAL USE 
ONLY</description> 
<language>en-gb</language> 
<lastBuildDate>Mon, 06 Dec 04 01:00:49 GMT</lastBuildDate> 
<copyright>Copyright: (C) British Broadcasting Corporation, 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3281849.stm</copyright> 
<docs>http://www.bbc.co.uk/syndication/</docs> 
- <image> 
<title>BBC News</title> 
<url>http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/bbc_news_120x60.gif</url> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk</link> 
</image> 
- <item> 
<title>Finding time for sport</title> 
<description>The BBC's Mike Baker asks whether plans for four hours of school 
sport a week are feasible.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4066901.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Tories pledge free sports lessons</title> 
<description>Children would be offered two hours' free sports training a week 
by 
a future Tory government.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4070033.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Cutting school run 'saves lives'</title> 
<description>Flexible school hours and reducing the school run would cut 
hundreds of road deaths, a study suggests.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/4070135.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Newcastle axes physics courses</title> 
<description>Newcastle University is to close its pure physics courses - the 
latest 
announcement of UK science course cuts.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4066817.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>University votes on bargain fees</title> 
<description>A few universities might offer cut-price courses in an effort to 
woo 
students, it has emerged.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4065875.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>'Too much asked' of A-levels</title> 
<description>It is unfair to ask A-levels to set universal standards over long 
periods of time, a report says.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4056487.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Fewer chemistry courses urged</title> 
<description>The UK might be "better off" with fewer, better-funded, chemistry 
departments, a leading academic says.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4064965.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>More schools for Woodhead firm</title> 
<description>A company chaired by former chief inspector of schools Chris 
Woodhead purchases 12 independent schools.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4065629.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Workers get free skills training</title> 
<description>All workers in England who do not have basic skills will be 
offered 
extra training, the Chancellor announces.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4062057.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Student behaviour 'deplorable'</title> 
<description>Student anti-social behaviour is completely unacceptable, says 
Queen's University's new vice chancellor.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4064741.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Schools shine in results tables</title> 
<description>Annual tables of England's primary school test results show even 
those in deprived areas can do well.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4056907.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Students march over top-up fees</title> 
<description>A big student demonstration highlights fears that Wales may have 
university top-up fees from 2007.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4060511.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>School rebuilding pledge queried</title> 
<description>The government says all England's secondary schools will be 
upgraded - but not by 2015, as Gordon Brown said.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4063341.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Firearms teacher suspended</title> 
<description>A council suspends a teacher who was compared to the Dunblane 
killer in a legal row over his firearms licence.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4063305.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>School disputes test cheat ruling</title> 
<description>A primary school whose test results were quashed for alleged 
cheating denies having done anything wrong.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4057043.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>School tests fingertip clock-in</title> 
<description>A secondary school tests a new fingertip-recognition roll call to 
help 
tackle truancy.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/england/cambridgeshire/4056829.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Open access to controversy</title> 
<description>The BBC's Mike Baker looks at whether the new Office for Fair 
Access is worthwhile, amid Tory plans to get rid of it.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4007247.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Time for greater degree scrutiny?</title> 
<description>The BBC's Mike Baker looks at the report that UK degree 
classifications have outlived their usefulness.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/3986691.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>What about adult learners?</title> 
<description>The focus on educating 14 to 19 year olds is stopping colleges 
from 
teaching adults, colleges say.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4017059.stm</link> 
</item> 
- <item> 
<title>Death of a village school</title> 
<description>A school of just 11 pupils is closing its doors for the last time 
this 
Christmas.</description> 
<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-
/2/hi/uk_news/education/4002581.stm</link> 
</item> 
</channel> 
</rss>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to