2011/7/27 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>

> 2011/7/27 Simone Saviolo <simone.savi...@gmail.com>:
> > Of
> > course, the roads are interconnecting, otherwise it wouldn't be a
> network.
>
> I thought this was a common term in English, but as I am not a native
> speaker I might be wrong

Neither am I. Can someone confirm what this "interconnected" is supposed to
mean? With the arguable exclusion of dead-end roads, I would call any street
in the world a part of an "interconnected" network. Even more, I would only
exclude islands in the graph.

> > Residential roads connect, too: they form a graph whose edges may be less
> > important than the other bigger ways, but they're still part of the
> graph,
> > just like tracks and footways.
>
> They are part of the road graph, but not of the interconnecting
> network, that is what this sentence is about

Then I can't honestly grasp what this "interconnecting" network is.

Or rather, I think I understand what you mean, but you're not defining it -
you're describing it with a vague term. As I said, if a way meets other ways
at both ends, or in at least two of its points (I would even say in at least
one of its points), that way is connected. So, if it's not an island, it's
connected. You are saying, basically, if I get it right, that an
unclassified is a way that is connected to (and connects) streets of a
certain importance - and I agree to that - while, e.g., a residential is
only connected to other residentials and/or to the occasional bigger way.
But, of course, this isn't a definition. How important should the connected
streets be? How important should the street itself be? In a grid-like city,
there will be a bunch of parallel streets connecting Large Avenue A to Great
Street B; why would a few of those be unclassified's and other
residential's?

> > Again, maybe I'm just being picky, but if we can come up with a
> definition
> > that is clear and not an apparent collection of words, all the better.
>
> yes, if you have something better to propose we can use that.

I would just describe it as a street that, in a urban environment, is used
by people to go from a neighbourhood to another neighbourhood. A residential
is used mainly by local inhabitants to reach a specific address; an
unclassified is a, what's the term?, a passing road? I'm not a native
English speaker either, so here some help with the words would be
appreciated :-)

In the country, it's not the main road you would use to go from town A to
town B (that one would be a tertiary), nor it's supposed to be used only by
agricultural vehicles (that one would be a track).

cheers,
> Martin

Cheers,

Simone