2011/7/28 Simone Saviolo <simone.savi...@gmail.com>:
> 2011/7/27 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>

> Then I can't honestly grasp what this "interconnecting" network is.
> Or rather, I think I understand what you mean, but you're not defining it -
> you're describing it with a vague term.

to make this clear: the term we are discussing about is not from me,
and as I wrote before: if we can find a better term I would be glad to
use that instead.

> connected. You are saying, basically, if I get it right, that an
> unclassified is a way that is connected to (and connects) streets of a
> certain importance

+1

 - and I agree to that - while, e.g., a residential is
> only connected to other residentials and/or to the occasional bigger way.

a residential road might also be connected on both ends to bigger ways
but still itself not be suitable to serve as a general connection.

> But, of course, this isn't a definition. How important should the connected
> streets be? How important should the street itself be?

that's relative to the surroundings and will not be easily coverable
by a general definition - I would omit that part.

> In a grid-like city,
> there will be a bunch of parallel streets connecting Large Avenue A to Great
> Street B; why would a few of those be unclassified's and other
> residential's?

maybe they would all be unclassifieds? Or maybe the turning
restrictions and traffic calming and oneway situation would make some
of them going through and others effectively not?

> I would just describe it as a street that, in a urban environment, is used
> by people to go from a neighbourhood to another neighbourhood. A residential
> is used mainly by local inhabitants to reach a specific address; an
> unclassified is a, what's the term?, a passing road? I'm not a native
> English speaker either, so here some help with the words would be
> appreciated :-)

"connecting road" ?

> In the country, it's not the main road you would use to go from town A to
> town B (that one would be a tertiary), nor it's supposed to be used only by
> agricultural vehicles (that one would be a track).

I don't know if we have to include "countryside" and "urban
environment" in the definition. (IMHO for a general definition this
doesn't matter).
I'd say: "It is the lowest form of a connection road. Below tertiary roads."

All the rest of the wiki page (explanations that unclassified is a
classification, examples, ...) could go to the following paragraphs.

cheers,
Martin