Stefan Tiran <stefan.ti...@student.tugraz.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> fly wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > I wonder if it is useful to tag bicycle=dismount on ways.
> >
> > At least in Germany there is no official traffic sign despite of the
> > existence of some.
>
> Every time I see such a sign, I get very angry about the fucking
> moron,
> who was responsible for this bullshit. Of course, it is in no way
> acceptable to let people dismount their bikes. Bicycles are not toys,
> they are vehicles of their own right.
>
> That's way I also don't think it is acceptable for a routing service
> suggest a route for a bicycle where one can't use it the way it is
> supposed to be.
>
> Yours,
> Stefan

"It is in no way acceptable to let people dismount their bikes" means that
people would not be allowed to dismount.  You would have a situation where
people were required to ride, not walk.  What if the bicycle had a flat tire,
or was otherwise damaged?

If you really meant "it is in no way acceptable to require people to dismount
their bikes", what about the real-life situation I described earlier, a narrow
footway along one side of a bridge, with a railing only slightly above waist
level for a pedestrian? A mounted cyclist would have a high enough center of
gravity that, should they collide with the railing, they would likely fall off
of the bridge.

--
John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: