On 2014-01-16 17:55, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2014/1/16 Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl>
>
>> If the semantics of a tag/value are different by country, let us just
>> document the standards for that country and move on.
>
> I'd prefer to use a different tag then, because that's what tagging is about:
> describing the real situation with k/v pairs. What's the point of using the
> same tag with different meaning?

Then we should not use tags which mean different things to different
people. Instead of "bus", should we use
"vehicle_constructed_or_adapted_for_the_carriage_of_individual_fare-paying_passengers_on_scheduled_service"
in one country and
"vehicle_constructed_for_the_carriage_of_passengers_over_short_distances"
in another?

Seriously, this is what we do all the time. Highway=trunk for example -
many differing interpretations across the world, but usually
more-or-less consistent within countries.

We can all dream of a nice uniform world where all these debates are no
longer needed, but it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime... In the mean
time, we have to adapt our model to fit the world, because going the
other way has proven rather challenging.

Colin