> > There's the question whether "natural" is appropriate as there are also
> man
> > made steep slopes.
>
> I think that we do not need that kind of differenciation. There are also
> man
> made water areas and trees, and we are doing fine without tags like
> man_made=tree.

sounds interesting, can you expand about these artificial trees? Or are you
referring to something like this:
http://cdn2.spiegel.de/images/image-478741-galleryV9-axic.jpg
I hope we agree that these shouldn't be tagged as natural=tree?

> They would only complicate things. Look at the landuse=forest
> vs. natural=wood dilemma.

different topic IMHO.

> A cliff (or steep slope) cannot be man made on its own

of course it can.

> , because it can only
> be created by putting up something on one side, or digging off something on
> the other side. So it's actually the adjacent horizontal area that is man
> made.

the whole area can be man_made, e.g. concrete, why not?

I agree in so far as from one point of view we could have a tag that only
describes the shape without referring to natural or man_made (who or why
something is there). But I wouldn't recommend the natural namespace for
this, as people often interpret this literally.

This is only possible if the man made embankment is inside a larger natural

> slope.

no, you can have an embankment in an otherwise totally plain area, and
there could be this one level change.

> > So the slope should be an attribute to the line. Would
> > embankment=yes/right/left/both be the correct tag in your opinion?
>
> There are at least 3 aspects of that question:
> 1) The linguistic aspect: whether the word "embankment" suits assymetric
> profiles.

not sure, but my guess is yes

2) The syntactic aspect: what's the differece between embankment=yes and
> =both?

yes will either imply both or could mean either onesided or both (i.e. the
details are unknown), that will have to be defined. As it stands, "unknown
if both or left/right" might be the safer assumption.

> 3) The usage aspect: Do we really want to tag all mountain roads
> embankment=left + cutting=right?

in ultimate detail yes, why not? If people have undertaken the effort to
move and cut into mountains, putting an attribute to a line in a collective
computer database seems relatively feasible, no?

Cheers,
Martin