Am 04.09.2014 15:55, schrieb Friedrich Volkmann:
This is only possible if the man made embankment is inside a larger natural
slope. So the embankment is not as notable a landscape component as compared
to freestanding embankments in the plains.
I'm dealing with spoil heaps. These are man_made but that's not the problem here.

Needs? No mapper that I am aware of is forced to map anything. They usually
map what they believe is useful.
OK, don't want philosophical discussions. A spoil heap is often partially limited by more or less steep slopes. I want to map these because they are important landmarks. And a renderer should be able to render these appropriately.
There are at least 3 aspects of that question:
1) The linguistic aspect: whether the word "embankment" suits assymetric profiles.
Yes. And I'd say so.
2) The syntactic aspect: what's the differece between embankment=yes and =both?
That's a minor problem (I introduced "both" in my email to point out that it could be on either side of the line object).
3) The usage aspect: Do we really want to tag all mountain roads embankment=left + cutting=right? Hey, we have DEMs nowadays, and everybody knows that there are slopes on the mountains.
I'm not speaking of roads (as is done in the wiki) but in more general terms of line objects. In fact I'm not dealing with roads. Any mapper is free to map as many details is he likes.

Cheers,
Zecke