On 04.09.2014 16:46, Zecke wrote:
> I'm dealing with spoil heaps. These are man_made but that's not the problem
> here.

For spoil heaps, man_made=spoil_heap has been suggested. They have little in
common with embankments.

> A spoil heap is often partially
> limited by more or less steep slopes. I want to map these because they are
> important landmarks. And a renderer should be able to render these
> appropriately.

man_made=spoil_heap tells the renderer to render a spoil heap. A heap is
elevated by definition. No need to render two signatures for one heap. If
the elevation difference is significant and you want it to be seen on the
map, use contour lines or hill shading.

By the way, embankment=left/right won't work for spoil heaps, because they
are not linear features.