At least in the USA, mall usually refers to a group of stores around a
pedestrian-only courtyard, often with a common roof over both the stores and
the courtyard space, and sharing a common parking lot. Shopping center usually
refers to a linear or C-shaped group of stores, with a common parking area but
no pedestrian courtyard.