To me analyzing the given examples it seems as if a mall was necessarily a
closed place while a shopping center would/could have outdoor connectivity.
They appear to be similar as they both have several independent shops and
collective facilities like toilets and parking. Maybe a mall has to have
restaurants and other eating facilities, while a shopping center doesn't
have to (but could have). I think small sets of shops with collective
parking won't qualify as "mall" but they might constitute a shopping center.