I was also thinking that landuse=retail makes more sense than either mall
or shopping_centre. If you have a big building enclosing lots of shops, you
can tag it building=mall.

johnw, I understand the distinction you're making (I would call your
"shopping_centre" a "strip mall", I think). But do you really hear people
use these terms without overlap? Do you have some evidence of this usage?
For example, in wikipedia, the page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopping_centres_in_the_United_Kingdom
distinguishes shopping centres (what you're defining as malls) from retail
parks (which you're defining as shopping centres).