"Are there really road signs with additional plates listing all of that
stuff?"

Some egregious example from Poland:

https://www.google.pl/maps/@50.0661474,19.9390468,3a,41.6y,230.88h,84.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-rGw0-IoKZGQKjyZKeRl0Q!2e0?hl=en

"How big are those signs, and how long does it take for a driver to read
them?"

Local government claims that law in Poland as it is written mandates
explicit listing of allowed types of transport.