On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:50 AM, David Bannon <dban...@internode.on.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 21:34 -0800, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>
> > The real question is what type of tag would attract rendering
> > support.  amenity=dump_station is easier to deal with,
> > as it's a single level that maps to the commonly understood function
> > of a place to dump a sewage holding tank.
>
> Bryce, I agree, my own interest here is I'm heading out on a trip, in an
> RV, in a couple of months. I'd like to map these things, need to know
> where they are.
>
> My particular interest here is camping and emptying my holding tank, but
> there is a huge list of other people who have some other pet need. I
> understand the community is (reportedly) reluctant to cater to each of
> those needs individually with yet another amenity tag.
>
> Maybe I am wrong, lets see who stands up ?

It's hard to go far wrong with a dedicated tag for a feature with:

1) A strong clear definition
2) That features prominently on printed recreation maps, with a standard
icon.
3) Has a large community of mappers behind it.

However that said, the large mapping community for RV dumps is not on OSM:

http://www.sanidumps.com/
http://openpois.net/
http://www.poi-factory.com/
http://www.rvdumps.com/