I like the idea behind this proposal overall but feel some clarifications
are needed. In the first section: Designated means set aside for the
purpose of camping, so that part is fine. But then you say:

2. Designated campground (camp_site
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:camp_site&action=edit&redlink=1>
=designated
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:camp_site%3Ddesignated&action=edit&redlink=1>)
- areas that are made available for camping on a non-commercial basis,
usually for an overnight RV or caravan stay, but that are equipped with no
or few facilities and charge no or a nominal fee;

if you reword it to say:
 "areas that are available for camping on a non-commercial basis, often for
RV or caravan use, and that have at a minimum facilities like toilets,
trash disposal and drinking water. Such sites may be free or charge a fee
and may be located inside a public park or other recreation area. If the
site is only for tents or only for RVs, add caravan=no or tents=no,  etc. "

you will remove the bias toward RVs your version has and expand the
definition to include more campgrounds. This sort of campground, along with
the commercial types, is probably the most common type in the U.S. If you
leave it as is, the bulk of the camping facilities in the U.S. and Alaska
will not have a strong match to any of your categories. With this
definition there, you can discard the 6th category entirely. I would
venture to say 99% of campgrounds inside of National and State Parks and
National Recreation areas are "designated", you cannot just camp anywhere.

Under Rendering:
Your choice of an RV icon for designated sites is not good because it
implies RV usage is the major type of camping at this place.

Also, you say
Commercial and undefined campgrounds: Blue tent symbol [image:
Camping.n.16.png] <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Camping.n.16.png> as
currently in place
Why do you use the word undefined. It's the first time that word appears in
the proposal and has no . I think you should say, commercial sites or sites
that are tagged tourism=camp_site but have no other clarifying tags, should
get the blue tent symbol.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Swarthout