On 24/07/2015 11:35 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com <mailto:61sundow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Access is also used (misused?) for things other than highways ...
    A hotel may be for 'designated' persons only .. eg employees,
    students only for an apartment building.
    An entry may be 'private' for residence only.

I don't have problems with the access tag on other things than highways.
But what does access=designated mean in case you do not further specify the "designated to XYZ" ? Designated is only useful when the group of users/vehicles/.. is specified.

That could be best served by a tag designated=value ? The value could be taken as text by a render thus providing for all possibilities. Much simpler than the highway access thing of individual tags of motor_vehicle=yes etc.

The examples you give also fall under the access=private definition IMHO.

Disagree. But 'splitting hairs' to do it.

access=private is defined as "Only with permission of the owner on an individual basis" access=designated is defined as "A preferred or designated route for a specific vehicle type or types,"

So "private" means individual permission, designated means permission for a group/type.

The above hotel I used as an example maybe open to all the employees of a firm, thus 'designated'. If it were open to only to individually granted employees of a firm then it would be private. The permission is not on an individual basis but 'designated' to a group of people, not individually.

I don't think access=designated can be replaced with access=private.