On 25/07/2015 13:43, Hubert wrote:
Am 24. Juli 2015 um 17:50 schrieb Heiko Eckenreiter
[mailto:heiko.eckenrei...@gmx.net] :
Am 24.07.2015 um 17:24 schrieb Hubert:
But only the way with the traffic sign will be tagged with
bicycle=designated, foot=designated using the definition in the
description box

That is not logical, because both ways are still equally designated to
pedestrians and cyclist in both situations.
Today in OSM it's documented, only the ways signposted with a traffic
sign should be tagged with *=designated (as described on the cited page
access=designated and much more).
The only wiki page with such a strict formulation I could find is the "highway=footway"
page [1] : "highway=footway is used for signposted paths designated for pedestrians only.
Signposted footpaths are primarily common in residential areas, but may also exist out-of-town in
recreational environments, parks etc.. ".
But in this context one must agree that highway=footway is equal to "highway=path,
foot=designated". Also this was only changed recently by Geow on June 28th.
Bevor that it read : "highway=footway is mainly used for residential paths
designated for pedestrians only."
And till Feb 18th :" The tag highway=footway is used for mapping minor pathways
which are used mainly or exclusively by pedestrians." Which is the definition I
prefer.

I believe that the recent edits to the highway=footway page by Geow resulted in it not reflecting the usage of the key - it seems to be telling people how to use a key not documenting how they do use it. I did raise it with the user concerned (1) (and interestingly other users have raised similar problems there too) but frankly have no wish to get into a wiki edit war or even a "discussion" with someone who doesn't even edit the map (or at least, not in that name) (2). It's also perhaps worth mentioning that the 18th Feb change (which you - and I - preferred the previous version to) was made by a wiki editor who's since been blocked (3).

I only spotted the wiki change because someone spotted a large number of footways that I had surveyed being changed into paths without any information to give a clue as to physical type. We've seen other similar instances where well-meaning but ignorant wiki edits have resulted in well-meaning but ignorant "tag correctors" corrupting map data (changing "wood=deciduous" to "leaf_type=broadleaved" was one).

Personally, to try and make sense of pages in our wiki I tend to view the history and look at the "last edit by a sensible person", taking particular care to read the previous version to anything labelled e.g. "cleanup".

Cheers,

Andy

(1) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Geow

(2) http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Geow