On 09/09/2015 22:39, moltonel wrote:
Please run experiments like this on a test db, not on the main one. It's easy to point your editor to dev.openstreetmap.org for example (quoting from memory, not 100% sure).

While that's a good idea (the test URL I use for such things is http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/ btw) it's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm not aware of anything rendering "standard" map tiles from the data in there. I'm also not aware of anyone making planet files or extracts from there either*.

However, for a very small area (but still big enough to show the sort of effects you're looking for) I suspect you'd be OK doing an API MAP call to get the data and throwing that into a rendering database which you can access in the usual "rendering server" way, or by something like tilemill.

I had been thinking about writing some notes about how to do this for a while, just haven't got the necessary "round tuit" yet :)

Cheers,

Andy

* but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong on both counts of course.