sign is correct in a certain frame of reference, but the spelling in the
government's administration or the spelling according to a dictionary
may be different, but also just as correct, just in a different way.

So when claiming a piece of data is "correct" it needs to be accompanied
by a statement about "according to what standard".

How does the chap with the GPS on his smartphone know that the old
coordinate of 50.000 is "more correct" than his own measurement?

--colin

On 2015-09-11 19:16, André Pirard wrote:

> On 2015-09-09 23:39, moltonel wrote :
>
> On 9 September 2015 21:46:54 GMT+01:00, "André Pirard"
> <a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are various reasons for warning other mappers to be careful about
> their updates.
> I once temporarily overlaid two walking routes to show the effect of
> displaying two sorts of icons.
> Or I left in for a while drawing errors of a plugin as the best way to
> show the author what I talk about.
> Despite a don't touch note explaining why, a good soul passes, not
> reading note and makes a "correction".
>
> Please run experiments like this on a test db, not on the main one. It's easy
> to point your editor to dev.openstreetmap.org for example (quoting from
> memory, not 100% sure). You never know when a data consumer will stumble upon
> your experiment, live or in a downloaded snapshot. Nobody expects osm data to
> be perfect all the time, but there's no point in knowingly making it worse.
 You are off topic, as well as the following messages.
While I admit that my examples are suboptimal, the matter is extending
very simply to other tags the idea of preventing to replace precisely
triangulated coordinates by loose GPS ones.
Let us, for a better example, say that someone tagged a strange looking
name and that he knows for sure that the spelling is correct.  After the
third time the name was changed to a apparently better but wrong
spelling, he will want to enforce reading the note that nobody reads.
That's all there is to the suggestion you removed from this message.

Now responding to your accusations.
What big sin is that to discover errors and leave them a few more days
on the map for the developer of the tool that produced them to have a
look at them?  Is there a prescribed time limit?
Like you, I have always advocated a sandbox, especially for helping
novices. I've never heard of one and it's the first time I do. But JOSM
says "The server responds with the return code 404 instead of 200. "
when trying to validate http://dev.openstreetmap.org/ as well as
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/
Thanks, but please give correct information.
But a sandbox wouldn't help with the first bad example because it's to
be looked at on Waymarked trails and that program does not display
sandbox data.  And as we're told that those URL if they worked wouldn't
have a renderer, they wouldn't be very convenient to use.
Please make practical suggestions !!!

On 2015-09-10 18:41, Kotya Karapetyan wrote :

> But otherwise I think there is a difference between a general warning or
> message from one mapper to another (which in its own is an interesting idea
> but can lead to dialogues and discussions) and a specific technical feature
> that would prevent moving an accurately positioned tag.
>
> Imagine there is a real-world marker at 50.000° N:
> http://www.dieweltenbummler.de/geografisches/geografische-besonderheiten/50-breitengrad/
>
> Someone draws it in OSM at 50° N. Then I come there with a smartphone,
> measure the location, find it at 49.9° and edit the OSM accordingly. It is
> wrong by definition (providing that the real-world marker location is known
> precisely), but there is no mechanism to prevent such editing.
>
> I think it's a very specific and relevant gap, and would love seeing it
> solved elegantly.
 That is what my suggestion does and I wonder why the heck it has been
removed from this message !!!
It would produce a message saying something like:  "The coordinates you
are trying to change are accurate to 25 cm.  You probably shouldn't
change this tag, certainly not with GPS data.  Are you certain that you
will not destroy valuable data and do you want to continue?".
And if he replies "no", his attempt is canceled.
This kind of message would be possible for any tag and I don't
understand why you want it to be specific.
What elegance does it lack? You should explain. It allows to make
updates to better that 25 cm.
We know that it's typical of OSM to be crowded with stupid vandalism
("can I erase what I don't understand?"), even the DWG changing names to
spelling mistakes i could explain, but someone defying such a warning
should be banned for life.
Why was my text removed?

Cheers

                André.