I’ve been wanting to make a amenity=immigration because usually foreign
residents (and only foreign residents) go to such facilities - so local mappers
are usually unaware of their existence or importance.

These are places where people apply for new visas, extensions to existing
visas, and change from one visa type to another. Usually regional ones cover
mostly visa extensions for residents, whereas a main office would cover the
gamut from people looking for asylum to people applying for new visas to be
come residents in some manner for work or marriage.

Finding the regional offices in your host country can be very difficult if
there is a language barrier - sometimes they are in a giant government complex,
sometimes they are a standalone facility - but they should be very clearly
marked. My old office was hidden on the 3rd floor of a non-descript building
next to a clothing shop. Almost no signage helped you find it, until you were
in the lobby of the building.

These facilities are *not* border control nor passport applications offices -
as they deal only with the foreign people living in their area. They might be
in the same complex, but often times they are not, and warrant their own tag.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32304/139.00155
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32304/139.00155>

This the building I have to visit in Japan for my residence visa now. It is a
small building run by the Justice Ministry, as the program was recently
transferred from customs to Justice (AFAIK).

They also have a small prisoner transfer center there, which gets a rendered
icon. This is the only office within 2 hours of travel - so many thousands of
foreigners have to come to this one office every year or so from all over the
region.

As an aside, I think we should suggest the name=* field to be the defacto
“foreign" language for the country, which would be English for most of Asia
(they standardize on english as a common “foreign" language), which would be
very helpful for the foreigners having to visit there - as (in my case) no
Japanese citizen ever needs to visit nor care about the office (unless married
to a foreigner) - and the asian language scripts are often unreadable to new
foreign residents who are looking for the office to visit.

The native language and others can of course be tagged as well, but I think the
facility should have it’s "foreign" language name rendered first and foremost.

Javbw