> There was far more detail on the Russian page than on the English page,
>
> leading me to believe that the Russians are leading .. at least on this
> tag.
>
> Personally I see no reason why English has to be the primary page.

because English seems to be the language most of us can understand. If tags
get developed in a different language, people will not be able to
participate in the discussion and if the details of tags are not available
in English, many people will not be aware of these details and will not be
able to use a tag according to its definition. This can be nonetheless an
option if a tag is only relevant in a certain geographical region, but for
globally significant tags it is clearly not desirable.

Cheers,
Martin