    There was far more detail on the Russian page than on the English
    page,

    leading me to believe that the Russians are leading .. at least on
    this tag.

    Personally I see no reason why English has to be the primary page.

because English seems to be the language most of us can understand. If tags get developed in a different language, people will not be able to participate in the discussion and if the details of tags are not available in English, many people will not be aware of these details and will not be able to use a tag according to its definition. This can be nonetheless an option if a tag is only relevant in a certain geographical region, but for globally significant tags it is clearly not desirable.

I understand that it is 'not desirable' but
where a particular group is

a) developing something and they are more fluent in something other than English then

b) a particular interest in the tag that has not been active elsewhere then

I have no objection to them going ahead in that language. In fact I would think that would lead to a speedier development with possibly more people.
There is little trouble caused by an automatic translation these days.