> I am told that access=permit is
> the same thing as access=private (which, as far as I can determine, is
> also no different from access=no). I accept that.

it depends what "permit" actually means:

1) can it be obtained by everybody meeting clearly defined, easy to comply
(e.g. filling out a form with your name and intended time of stay) criteria
(=you have a right, if the administration doesn't grant the permit
nonetheless you meet the requirements, you could sue them),

2) or is it typically given to "everybody", but if they decide you don't
get it you can't do anything.

3) Or is obtaining the permit linked to requisites which are found only in
very few people (e.g. living in an area).

The case 3 and maybe 2 could reasonably be approximated with private, while
the first and maybe second would merit a new tag IMHO (cases 1 and 2 could
also have 2 tags: access=permit and another one stating whether you have a
right to get the permit). I'm not sure about case 2.

Cheers,
Martin