Must agree with Thorsten and Stefano.

The proposal referenced by Martin is just that: a proposal. From 2011-12.
Never approved.

The wiki page (created 2015) makes clear that the actual key, in use,
refers to shops like Costco, which btw is the same in the US as the
Australian version. See also https://wiki.openstreetmap.
org/wiki/Map_Features (which alludes to the Costco-style shop).

Perhaps the (never approved) proposal page should make clear that (a) it
was not approved, (b) it is not in use. And (c) it should refer to the
actual wiki page.

Alternatively, this type of store is sometimes called a "big box" retailer
in the US. I would not oppose a shop=big_box alternative to supplant
shop=wholesale. Or even hypermarket (the French term is hypermarché) or
superstore. But in any case there is always going to be some confusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big-box_store

I would agree that a wholesaler's office and/or warehouse should not use
this tag (unless of course the warehouse also sells on site to the general
public or its membership, in which case it is indeed a shop).

I glanced at the 1000 or so existing uses of the tag, and a large number
seem to have names suggesting correct usage (Costco, Sam's Warehouse, xxx
Cash & Carry, etc.)

So it seems to me that the problem is not the tag, but rather the proposal
page that Martin cited.