On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 7:24 AM, ael <law_ence....@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> No. Railway platform for the raised area to match the floor level of
> trains is entirely standard. Platform normally means a raised structure
> so it applies to the entry floor of a bus, but not to the ground level
> waiting area which is seldom, if ever, raised. Merely being paved and
> perhaps thus slightly elevated would not normally be called a platform.

It's pretty routine to call a railroad waiting area in the US a 'platform'
irrespective of its elevation. At a lot of minor stations here (including
the one in my home town), the platforms are only 20 cm above the
rails and there are several steps up aboard the car when boarding
the train (US standard for the floor of a passenger car is 122 cm
above top of rail, although there are many systems with other heights).

These low platforms are ordinarily furnished with wheelchair lifts or
boarding ramps that can be retracted frrom the edge of the platform,
The reason for the low height is that small-town stations often do
not have a passing track, and heavy freight has a wider loading
gauge than a standard passenger car and cannot clear an elevated
boarding platform.

So here, at least, a 'platform' may be a minimally elevated structure.